CALGARY, Alberta, June 30, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — The Alberta Energy Regulator (AER) has issued an order to Journey Energy Inc. (Journey) in response to two releases of an unknown amount of crude oil emulsion near Winfield, Alberta that was originally reported to the AER on June 28, 2017.
The order directs the company to:
- immediately suspend operations, contain the release and prevent it from spreading;
- identify anyone who may be affected by the release and make sure they are notified;
- control access to the site;
- collect water and soil samples from the site for analysis;
- develop a wildlife mitigation plan and detailed delineation and remediation plan;
- develop daily public reports and publish them to the Journey Energy Inc. website,
- submit daily updates to the AER., and
- submit a final report to the AER.
Much of the required work has already begun. Orders are not enforcement; they are remedial orders directing the company to provide plans to ensure that the environment is remediated.
On June 28, 2017, the AER was notified by Journey that a pipeline release had occurred. A second release was reported to the AER on June 29, 2017. There have been impacts to a local waterway and local wildlife may also have been affected.
An investigation is underway.
We publish incident information on the Compliance Dashboard, which will be updated as new information becomes available.
The Alberta Energy Regulator ensures the safe, efficient, orderly, and environmentally responsible development of hydrocarbon resources over their entire life cycle. This includes allocating and conserving water resources, managing public lands, and protecting the environment while providing economic benefits for all Albertans.
FOR BROADCAST USE:
In response to two pipeline releases near Winfield, Alberta, the Alberta Energy Regulator has issued an environmental protection order to Journey Energy Inc., requiring the company to contain the release and develop and submit plans for wildlife protection, environmental remediation, and public notification.
CONTACT: For more information, please contact: Cassie Naas, AER Public Affairs Phone: 403-863-5321 Email: [email protected] Media line: 1-855-474-6356